Hey cyber peeps! We’re a week into June, isn’t that crazy?
Just a little shout out to those of you who still come and read my blog and interact with me even though I’ve been taking obnoxiously long and sudden hiatuses. You are seriously the bee’s knees! ?
It’s been a while since I last did one of these digest posts, but there’s only a few points to cover. We last met on Mother’s Day weekend, and since then, I’ve had a birthday*! The day was pretty fun, though. Isaac bought me wine and ice cream, my best friend bought me wine and ice cream, and we all watched the epic conclusion of Game of Thrones together, because it just so happened to end on my birthday. ? I took the next day off as well, and my little family + my mom all went to the zoo and had a blast! Overall, 10/10 very good birthday.
*The idea of it is cool and all, but then I think about this being my last year of my twenties, and then I start to get sad.
Summer has officially started this past week at my school, and it makes me so excited for Rowan to start experiencing all of the fun things his school offers during the summer months! On Friday, he got to experience the splash pad for the first time, and they set up some farm animals in the parking lot for the kids to look at and pet!
Something very unfortunate also happened to us this past week. Isaac’s grandma passed away from cancer, and it’s ripped a hole through all of our hearts. She was one amazing lady, and never failed to make me feel welcome and as much as a part of her family as everyone else. I’m so thankful she got to know Rowan and that she was in his life, even for just a brief moment. She will be sorely missed.
Rowan also experienced his first wedding yesterday. A friend I made through work got married, and it was a beautiful affair! Another co-worker and close friend of mine was there, too, and she, Rowan, and I got on the dance floor and got jiggy with it! Rowan was so cute trying to dance and shake his little booty! ? Obvs, he was a hit with all of the ladies.
I got a new book in my OwlCrate subscription box: We Hunt the Flame! I’ve already heard so many mixed things on this book, but I will admit I’m eager to read it. Since I first became a blogger, I’ve followed and read Hafsah’s (and her sister’s) book blog, IceyBooks, and I always feel so inspired when a fellow book blogger and reviewer makes their dreams happen – I just can’t help but feel so overwhelmingly happy for them! I love to be able to support them and most of all, read their finished product, because someday … I want that. I want my followers – YOU – to read the words of my soul one day.
Last weekend, I got together with one of my very best friends. Jes, who booktubes and goes by Jes Reads Books, gifted me her copies of Sawkill Girls and A Shiver of Snow and Sky! If you haven’t heard of her, definitely do yourself a favor and check out her channel, because she’s very pretty and talks about books and mental health and she’s a f*cking delight. I love her. ?
- SHADOW FROST BY COCO MA • (ON HOLD) Read to 28% so far. I wasn’t really feeling this book… I had to put it on pause. Might return to it after I finish a couple of other books. (Add to Goodreads)
- A GAME OF THRONES BY GEORGE R.R. MARTIN • (STARTED) Read to 6% so far. Had to start this epic series after the tv show ended. I literally started reading it the night of the finale. I shamefully admit that I’ve had a copy of this book sitting on my shelves for years. (Add to Goodreads)
- A THOUSAND PERFECT NOTES BY C.G. DREWS • (FINISHED) ★★★★ This was a really good contemp about the obsession vs. passion of a boy pianist and the struggle to be perfect in his mother’s eyes. It had a really good romance and the author’s unique sense of writing enthralled me from start to finish! (Add to Goodreads)
- WE HUNT THE FLAME BY HAFSAH FAIZAL • (STARTED) Read to 5% last week. I don’t know if I quite have an opinion solidified enough to share with you all. Let me get back to you next week, as this is the book I am mainly reading at the moment. (Add to Goodreads)
- HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX (AUDIOBOOK) READ BY JIM DALE • (STARTED) Listened to 2% last week. I resubscribed to Audible, and used a credit for the next installment of the HP series. Time to start listening on my work/home commute! (Add to Goodreads)
Spontaneously, I browsed what was new on Netflix last week and came across The Perfect Date, which starred Noah Centineo, and uh, hello, he’s a very nice face to look at. I also watched Dumplin’ last night after the wedding because I just was in the mood to watch something and I actually really loved that movie.
Isaac and I finished the Chernobyl mini series the other night, and WOW, that movie was a tough pill to swallow simply because it really happened. Don’t get me wrong, the show was fantastic, and taught me a lot of the history that I simply had no idea about. But holy crap did it frighten and horrify me that something like that happened in real life.
I also finished watching season 4 of Game of Thrones (on my re-watch) AND I watched the series finale. ? I have no words, only sadness.
Last but not least, I saw the live-action Aladdin! I think Will Smith did a tremendous job as the genie – I’m pretty sure Robin Williams would be proud. I had a couple of reservations… Jasmine’s song – really not a fan. I know it was supposed to show how women were oppressed and that they should speak up for themselves in a world where men rule, but… I think it couldv’e been done better. The girl had a lovely voice, definitely, but the way it was sang? Not for me. Second, I wasn’t too keen on the actor who played Jafar. I think it should’ve been played by an older actor. Other than that, I loved it. The scenery and setting was just gorgeous. I wish I could’ve taken a walk through the set of Agrabah!
So I’ve been listening to a lot of new music lately, but also a healthy portion of some well-loved songs. Ones that have been on heavy rotation are “Burning Bright” by Shinedown, “All Animal” by Through Fire, “Dancing’s Not a Crime” by Panic! At the Disco, and “Why Don’t You & I” by Santana and Alex Band.
A couple of songs haven’t moved from the list since the last blog digest, like “Dancing’s Not a Crime” and “Have it All” – I haven’t been able to shake their catchy rhythms.
– Seriously, Rosie, write those reviews!!!
– Plan something nice for Father’s Day
– Don’t take another impromptu hiatus, you twit.
Tell me what is new in your neck of the woods. What new shows/movies have you seen, and what books are you reading?
Reading: We Hunt the Flame – Hafsah Faizal ?
Drinking: hot cup o’ coffee
Currently: We all just got out of bed (10 am) and I’m feeling very thankful that we have such a chill, laid-back son! I’m beyond thrilled he’s not waking me up at the crack of dawn every single day. We’re about to chow on some breakfast and relax today!